As a food blogger, it doesn’t seem fair to me that I have the privilege of writing about nuances of flavor and texture, meanwhile more than 50 million Americans struggle to get enough to eat at some point in the year. This page includes information on several organizations that I believe are working diligently to combat this problem at home and abroad, and I hope that you will be inspired to step up and help make a difference with me.
“Feeding America is the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger…Through the assistance of local and national food assistance programs, Feeding America is able to provide nutritious, fresh foods to Americans struggling with hunger; safe and nurturing places for children to have a meal; emergency assistance for disaster victims; as well as a chance at self-sufficiency for adults trying to break the cycle of poverty and hunger.”
The organization’s website offers a variety of helpful tools for those looking to help end hunger:
- Understand the problem on a national, state, and local level by exploring the interactive Map the Meal Gap page.
- Locate a food bank near you. Contact your local agency to find out how you can participate in a food drive and/or volunteer your time.
- Donate. Every dollar given helps provide 8 meals to families struggling with hunger.
“No Kid Hungry™, an unprecedented, five-year effort designed to end childhood hunger in America. Our nation has the food and programs in place to end childhood hunger, but consider what we are up against: The stigmas and embarrassment that surround hunger, the challenges presented by access to healthy food, and the struggle to connect children with the resources they need to thrive. For 25 years, Share Our Strength has been confronting hunger head-on to break down these barriers. Together, with your support, we can put an end to childhood hunger. Will you join us in the No Kid Hungry campaign?”
Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign has four key components that, together, strive to provide children with the nutritious food they need where they live, learn, and play:
- Creating public-private partnerships at the state and city level to map out comprehensive, measurable plans to end child hunger in those areas.
- Building public awareness about the problem of childhood hunger and solutions to end it.
- Investing in communities with grants to organizations whose work improves access to nutritious foods or that educate families about such programs.
- Educating children and families about nutritious, affordable eating.
Ways that you can partner with this organization include:
“World Concern is a Christian global relief and development organization. With our supporters, our faith compels us to extend life-saving help and opportunity to people facing the most profound human challenges of extreme poverty. At World Concern, the solutions we offer, the work we do—with your help—creates lasting, sustainable change. Lasting change that provides lasting hope.”
World Concern provides hunger relief in disaster situations and invests in the long term health of individual communities through the teaching of sustainable agriculture. Visit their website to learn more and to make a donation.
Know of another organization that is helping combat hunger? Drop me a line at email@example.com – I’d love to learn more!